• Eat your veggies! – choose fresh, frozen, or low- or no- sodium canned vegetables and season yourself.
• Fresh is best - choose meats that are fresh instead of marinated, canned, smoked, brined or cured meats.
• Go low or no – check nutrition labels and compare sodium levels in foods.
• Pay attention to preparation – limit cured foods, foods packed in brine and condiments.
• Subtract, don’t add – rinse canned tuna, vegetables and beans and cook rice and pasta without salt. • Limit salty processed food – limit frozen meals, packaged mixes and canned soups.
• Spice it up – boost flavor with herbs, spices, lemon, lime and vinegar instead of salt and salty seasonings.
Click here for tips to reduce salt and sodium