- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium apples, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, breasts, thighs or drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 (15 ounces) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup raisins
Directions (serves 6, 1-2 pieces of chicken and ¾ cup vegetable mixture per serving):
1)In a small bowl, mix cinnamon, coriander, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
2) Pat chicken with paper towels. Remove skin. Cut thighs from drumsticks (if using whole legs) and cut breast in half.
3) Rub chicken pieces with spice mixture.
4) In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add onion, carrots and apples. Cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 15-minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
5) Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet. Brown chicken in 2 batches. 2-4 minutes per side. Return all chicken pieces to skillet and add broth. Bring to simmer. Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165°F, about 15-25 minutes depending on size of the pieces. Transfer cooked chicken to a clean plate.
6) Add raisins, vegetable mixture, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt to skillet. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid is almost gone, 5-10 minutes more. Serve over cooked chicken.