YHEP Manager Tricia Braxton Perry is joined by guest, Christine Kennedy who shares her mother's recipe for Japanese Somen Noodles with cucumber water and other delicious ingredients. Many thanks to Ms. Toshiko Yamane for this delicious recipe! Music: Walk Musician: @iksonmusic
CHALLENGE: Create a Somen Noodle dish and post or send us your photo to add to our photo gallery. You can also tag someone in the challenge!
FUN FACT: Cucumbers are 95% water. Eating cucumbers are a good way to stay hydrated during warm weather.
INGREDIENTS: Serves 4 people
- One bunch of Japanese Somen Noodle
- 4 Cups water to boil noodles
- 4 Cups of cold water in a separate pitcher
- 4 Cups ice cubes sliced cucumber sliced tomato
- Somen Noodle base
- Other optional ingredients:
- Bok Choy
- sliced carrots
- shiitake mushroom
- fish cake
- Place cucumber slices (not all) in pitcher of cold water and set aside
- Using a sauce pan bring 4 cups of water to a boil.
- Boil the Somen noodles for 2.5 minutes.
- As an optional ingredient add Bok choy greens (no stem) to boiling Somen Noodles
- Drain hot water from noodles and greens
- Pour cucumber water into a medium sized bowl with ice cubes
- Place noodles and greens into bowl with water and ice, let sit to cool.
- Slice tomato, mushroom, and fishcake
- Pour 4 tablespoons of Somen base into a personal soup bowl
- Using a pasta fork, remove one small scoop of Somen noodles from ice bath and place into personal soup bowl with Somen base
- Add other ingredients to the noodles: cucumber slices, tomato slices, Shiitake mushroom, carrot slices
- Mix all ingredients into to Somen base and serve cold!