Pre K Standards:
Mathematics & Science: L.PK.2, L.PK.4
Objective: Introduce new fruits and vegetables and explore the food using all 5 senses.
- Write each of the 5 senses on a piece of paper and place in a grab-bag.
- Introduce the new food.
- Take turns letting the children grab one of the 5 senses from the bag without looking.
- Depending on the sense they pick out, let the child explore.
- Touch: Feel the outside. Does the OUTSIDE of the kiwi FEEL smooth, hard, fuzzy, or soft?
- See: Open the food up. How does the INSIDE of the kiwi LOOK? What colors do you see?
- Smell: Sniff the food. How does the kiwi SMELL?
- Hear: Shake the food. Do you HEAR any sounds coming from the kiwi? What about when you eat it - does it make a sound? Can you think of a fruit that makes a sound when you bite it?
- Taste: Taste the food. Does the kiwi TASTE sweet or salty? Is it soft or crunchy?
- Allow the child who picks the taste card to taste the food first and describe to peers. Allow other to try food as well.