Did you know that physical activity can help you feel better right away?
- Boosts your mood
- Sharpens your focus
- Reduces your stress
- Improves your sleep
So get more active and start feeling better today.
How much activity do I need?
Moderate-intensity aerobic activity
- Anything that gets your heart beating faster counts.
- At least 150 minutes a week.
- Do activities that make your muscles work harder than usual.
- At least 2 days a week
Tight on time this week? Start with just 5 minutes. It all adds up!
Or get the same benefits in half the time. If you step it up to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, aim for at least 75 minutes a week.
Is it moderate or vigorous? Use the talk test to find out. When you are being active, just try talking:
- If you are breathing hard but can still have a conversation easily, it is moderate- intensity activity
- If you can only say a few words before you have to take a breath, it is vigorous-intensity activity
Whatever gets you moving! Even things you have to do anyway or things that do not feel like exercise, you can get more active. No matter who you are, where you live, on your own, or together. You can find a way that works for you. And over time, physical activity can help you live a longer, healthier life.
- Lower your risk of diseases like type 2 diabetes and some cancers
- Control your blood pressure
- Stay at a healthy weight
So take the first step. Get a little more active each day. Move your way.
Find tips to get moving and build a weekly activity plan by visiting Move Your Way
Department of Health and Human Services