Our Goal

Is to educate Nevadans about the health risks of having too much radon in their homes. The program offers literature, maps, educational presentations, and low-cost radon test kits. We recommend only hiring certified radon professionals. Hiring non-certifed radon professionals is risky to your home, health, and pocketbook. 

Call 775-336-0254 for assistance in locating your nearest office.

Test kits are free through February 29, while supplies last! 


About radon

Radon is a gas that happens naturally in the ground. You can’t see it, smell it, or taste it. This gas can move from the ground into the air. It is harmless in the outdoors, but if it gets into buildings, it can get trapped inside. Too much radon in a building can lead to lung cancer.

Radon is the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Every year, more than 21,000 Americans die from lung cancer caused by radon. Not everyone who is around radon will get sick, but the more radon there is and the longer you are around it, the greater the risk of developing lung cancer. Mining studies show that those who were around low levels of radon for long periods of time were more likely to develop lung cancer.

It is important to test all homes, offices, schools, and preschools for radon to make sure everyone is safe.

A cancer survivor who had exposure to radon

Heidi Nafman-Onda was diagnosed at the age of 55 with lung cancer. She was a healthy, active, non-smoker with zero respiratory symptoms before she was diagnosed. Heidi and her husband Pierre tested their home for radon and found high levels, a little above eight.

“It’s surprising that we have requirements for safety devices like smoke detectors, seat belts and carbon monoxide detectors but people don’t regularly test for radon,” Heidi said. “In addition to screening for other environmental hazards in your home, every home should test for radon.”

Learn more about Heidi's cancer story at The White Ribbon Project.


Our intent in sharing Heidi's White Ribbon Project story is to underscore the importance of testing your home for radon. No discrimination is intended and no endorsement is implied.

This program page was supported through Grant Number K1-15629 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not represent the  U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Upcoming Radon Education Program events