NEWS & EVENTS
Nevada is known for its beautiful landscape, but did you know that it also has a significant radon problem? Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among nonsmokers. This page provides you with essential information on radon and how to protect yourself and your family from its harmful effects.
Radon is a naturally-occurring radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. Radon gas is inert, colorless and odorless. Radon is naturally in the atmosphere in trace amounts. Outdoors, radon disperses rapidly and, generally, is not a health issue. Most radon exposure occurs inside homes, schools and workplaces. Radon gas becomes trapped indoors after it enters buildings through cracks and other holes in the foundation. Indoor radon can be controlled and managed with proven, cost-effective techniques.
Radon enters a home through cracks and openings in the foundation, walls and floors. It can also enter through well water. Once inside, radon can accumulate to high levels and pose a significant health risk.
Common entry points for radon in a home include:
“The U.S. Surgeon General recommends that all homes in the U.S. be tested for radon.”
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), radon exposure is responsible for about 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States. The EPA estimates that the risk of lung cancer from radon exposure is about 10 times greater for smokers than for nonsmokers. However, even nonsmokers can develop lung cancer from radon exposure.