How to become a certified radon professional

  1. Read through the NRPP Candidate Handbook before proceeding.
  2. Take a National Radon Proficiency Program (NRPP) or National Radon Safety Board (NRSB) approved initial training course associated with the certification you will be applying for. 
    The types of certifications include:
    • Radon Measurement Professional (RMP)
    • Radon Mitigation Specialist (RMS)
    • Radon Measurement Field Technician (RMFT)
    • Radon Mitigation Installer (RMI)
    • Soil Gas Mitigation Compliance Inspector (SGM-CI)

More details about each certification can be found on the NRPP website at Types of Certification - NRPP.

For NRSP certifications go to: Types of Certifications - National Radon Safety Board (

For a list of courses go to:

For the NRSB home website go to: Home - National Radon Safety Board ( under Education.

3. Take and pass the NRPP exam. To register for an NRPP exam, NRPP Certification Exams - NRPP. Visit the NSRB at, Digital Exam Information - National Radon Safety Board (  Exams are good for up to one year when applying for certification.

4.  After you receive your exam results email (2-3 business days after passing the exam), fill out an NRPP certification application request form. For the NSRB: App measurement cert V1202 (

 5.  When applying for NRPP certification, you will need to submit a course completion certificate for an NRPP-approved course. **Initial training course must have been completed within the last two years. For NSRB: Testers: Initial Courses for Measurement - National Radon Safety Board (  Mitigators: Initial Courses for Mitigation - National Radon Safety Board (

6. If applying for Radon Measurement Professional certification (standard or analytical), you will be required to register ALL device types as part of your application. If you are using analytical devices (ex: CRM), you will be required to complete a device performance test and proof of calibration and submit the passing DPT test results and calibration report(s) as part of the device registration process. If you utilize only standard devices (ex: charcoal test kit), you will still need to register the device type but will need to upload device documentation such as a purchase receipt. For the NSRB, you will list the devices on the following application: App measurement cert V1202 (

7. If you are applying for RMFT or RMI certification, you will need to complete a Statement of Responsibility form notating your supervisor’s name and certification ID number. This form will be available to complete in your NRPP certification portal (you will have access to this after your application request is approved).

Once your application request form has been processed:

  • You will receive an email with the next steps including how to create an application account on the NRPP website. The NSRB will also notify you through email.

  • Log into the online portal and upload the required documents listed on your Certification Checklist.

  • You will then receive notification that your documents have been approved and you can make your payment. **If there are any issues with your document submission, you will be contacted by a member of our certification staff.

  • Make your certification payment. 

For Mitigators, there are additional steps to become a licensed contractor. Go to the Nevada State Contractors Board and follow the steps necessary to become a licensed contractor. 

To reach out to either the NRPP or the NSRB, please use the following contact information:
  • National Radon Proficiency Program: 527 N. Justice St. Hendersonville, NC 28739. Email:,
    Phone: 828-348-0185
  • National Radon Safety Board: 14 Hayes Street Elmsford, NY 10523. Email:, Fax: 914-345-1169