All children face risks as they grow and develop, and most children can benefit greatly from positive interactions with caring adults. Children who have strong interpersonal skills and support are less likely to participate in risky behaviors, such as drug and alcohol use, early sexual involvement and dropping out of school.
WHO CAN JOIN?
Youth, ages 5 to 19 as of January 1 of the current year, may join.
WHERE DO I SIGN UP?
Join a club in your county, near your home or school. Experience 4-H with a friend, invite them to join with you. Contact your county Extension office to enroll.
WHEN SHOULD I SIGN UP?
Join anytime! But join by the county’s 4-H enrollment deadline to take advantage of all 4-H opportunities including participation in Fair
WHAT IS THERE TO DO?
Members, age 9 to 19 as of January 1 of the current year, select 4-H project(s) to explore through club and county activities. Cloverbud members, age 5 to 8 participate in non-competitive activities exploring a variety of fun, hands-on interest areas.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Members learn life skills, make new friends, enhance self-esteem, achieve personal goals, develop positive relationships with peers and volunteers, and have fun learning and sharing as a family and a club.
4-H programming in Douglas County can cover most any topic that an adult in the community would like to share with youth. 4-H clubs are only possible with volunteers in the community. If you have an interest that you'd like to share with the community, our 4-H staff will help you turn it into a 4-H project curriculum that teaches leadership, life skills and citizenship.
We anticipate offering the following 4-H Projects for the 2020- 2021 4-H year:
- Baking beginning (9-10*)
- Baking returning (10+*)
- Cloverbuds (5-8*)
- Community Gardening (9+*)
- Cooking (13+*)
- Crochet (9+*)
- Goats - Market (9+*)
- Horsemanship (9+*)
- Hunting Skills (11+*)
- Knitting (9+*)
- Sewing (9+*)
- Sheep - Breeding & Market (9+*)
- Shooting Sports - .22 Rifle, Air Rifle,.22 Pistol, Air Pistol, Archery, Shotgun, Muzzleloader (9+*)
- Steer/Beef – Breeding & Market (9+*)
- Speaking with Confidence (9+*)
- Swine – Market (9+*)
- Teen Ambassadors (13+ as of September 16, 2020)
* Note: 4-H member's age as of January 1, 2021
- The 4-H year begins October 1 and ends September 30 of each year.
- Projects times and dates vary, beginning and ending at different times during the year.
- Calendars with date/time information is available at Sign Up Night.
- Each project is a considerable time commitment. Please choose only those that you can fully commit to for all times/dates.
- For animal related projects, you must be zoned for, fund, provide and care for your own animal.
- Please do not purchase any animals or supplies prior to attending your first project meeting.
- Parents/guardians generally must be at all 4-H meetings and activities for the entire time.
- There are no sign-up fees due at Sign Up Night. Some Projects have supply fees due at your first meeting.
- 4-H T-shirts/totes are available for purchase at Sign Up Night, check/cash only.